In One Eye

Friday, August 19, 2005
 
A name from the past is in Connecticut's news today.
A state contractor who cooperated in a federal corruption investigation of former Gov. John G. Rowland was sentenced Friday to 5 1/2 years in prison on tax fraud charges.

Kurt Claywell faced up to nine years in prison, but U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill reduced the sentence, citing Claywell's cooperation in the case against Rowland.

Claywell was an electrical contractor who told investigators he gave Rowland expensive cigars and champagne in exchange for access to state contracts. Claywell already was facing the unrelated tax and fraud charges when he agreed to cooperate in the corruption probe.
While I think everyone involved with our former unctuous governor should swing by his thumbs, I can't say I'm totally displeased with the judgment even though
[p]rosecutors urged the court to give Claywell a harsher sentence, saying he submitted false tax returns to court officials preparing a pre-sentencing report.

"I don't believe Mr. Claywell can be deterred. I believe he is incorrigible," William Nardini, an assistant U.S. Attorney said. "Kurt Claywell doesn't need to pay taxes. The little people maybe, but not Kurt Claywell."
At least the bastard got more than the slap on the wrist Governor Felonious did.

While I'm at it, I'd like to thank the people who filled in for me while I was away. Josh Marshall, Juan Cole, Kevin Drum, Paul Krugman: You all make this blog what it is.