In One Eye
Tuesday, November 18, 2003
Received the following from one of my sisters; evidently, it's going around the Internet. It goes to show that we're all liberals. How could all these leftists have come from a couple of staunch Republicans?
Rules for Being a Good Republican
1) You have to believe that the nation's 8-year prosperity prior to W's administration was due to the work of Ronald Reagan and George H. Bush, but that today's growing deficit and rising gas prices are all Clinton's fault.
2) You have to believe that those privileged from birth achieve success all on their own.
3) You have to be against government programs, except Social Security checks on time.
4) You have to believe that government should stay out of people's lives, yet you want government to regulate your personal, sexual, and reproductive decisions.
5) You have to believe that pollution is ok, so long as it makes a profit.
6) You have to believe in prayer in schools, as long as you don't pray to Allah or Buddha.
7) You have to believe that a woman cannot be trusted with decisions about her own body, but that large multi-national corporations should have no regulation or interference whatsoever.
8) Jesus shares your hatred of AIDS victims, homosexuals, and former President Clinton.
9) You have to believe that society is color-blind and growing up black in America doesn't diminish your opportunities, but you still won't vote for Alan Keyes.
10) You have to believe that it was wise to allow Ken Starr to spend $50 million dollars to attack Clinton because no other U.S. presidents have ever been unfaithful to their wives.
11) You have to believe that a waiting period for purchasing a handgun is bad because quick access to a new firearm is an important concern for all Americans.
12) You have to believe it is wise to keep condoms out of schools, because we all know if teenagers don't have condoms they won't have sex.
13) You have to believe that the ACLU is bad because it defends the Constitution, while the NRA is good because it defends the Constitution.
14) You have to believe the AIDS virus is not important enough to deserve federal funding proportionate to the resulting death rate and that the public doesn't need to be educated about it, because if we just ignore it, it will go
15) You have to believe that biology teachers are corrupting the morals of 6th graders if they teach them the basics of human sexuality, but the Bible, which is full of sex and violence, is good reading and right on the mark.
16) You have to believe that Chinese communist missiles have killed more Americans than handguns, alcohol, and tobacco.
17) You have to believe that even though governments have supported the arts for 5000 years and that most of the great works of Renaissance art were paid for by governments, our government should shun any such support. After all, the rich can afford to buy their own art and the poor don't need any.
18) You have to believe that the lumber from the last one percent of old growth U.S. forests is well worth the destruction of those forests and the extinction of the several species of plants and animals therein.
19) You have to believe that we should forgive and pray for Newt Gingrich, Henry Hyde, and Bob Livingston for their marital infidelities, but that bastard Clinton should have been impeached.
20) You have to believe that George W. Bush really won the last election.